|The town of Cerda
Tourism in Cerda
Cerda was founded by Salvatore Bardi or de Mastrantonio with "licentia populandi" of 7 december 1526 granted by king Charles V (1500-1558).
Inside the regular plaiting of town centre there is the Baronial House, the most interesting monument of all the town.
The building does not show any particular stylistic characteristic, so that it is difficult to place it in a definite historic period.
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
But it is almost sure that its existence is dated before 1626, when the document of selling of barony was drawn up.
The building shows a severe structure, typical of buildings of territory of Madonie, and clear signs of remakings.
Lower part of the house, which gets gradually narrower, and the sequence of balconies settled on the main front are surely built after the first building.
Changes made to original structure gave it the impression of a town palace replacing what was probably a respectable country residence. This also happened to adapt the front tonoble standing and to changed conditions and size of village which was gradually changed becoming, just in that point, the heart of the small town.