Hotel Cetarium   Luigi Nifosė - Photographer in Sicily   Informatica Commerciale S.p.A.
The province of Palermo

Chiusa Sclafani

Chiusa Sclafani
Copyright © 2000 Il Sole Editrice
 

Chiusa Sclafani (Zip Code 90033) is 77 km distant from Agrigento, 141 km. from Caltanissetta, 255 km. from Catania, 158 km. from Enna, 310 km. from Messina, 79 km. from Palermo, which province it belongs to, 213 km. from Ragusa, 294 km. from Siracusa, 178 km. from Trapani.

Copyright © Edizioni Leopardi The Church of Santa Caterina

The municipality has 3.514 inhabitants and its area covers 5.740 hectares for a density of population of 61 inhabitants per square kilometre.

It rises on an internal hilly area and is placed 614 metres above sea-level.

The Town Hall is in piazza Castello, tel. ++39 091-8353538 fax. ++39 091-8353494.

A very small town, Chiusa Sclafani is on a slope and its activity is prevalently agricultural and produces cereals, olives, almonds, grapes, cherries and peaches. The handicraft is bound to wood and cloth working.

Copyright © Edizioni Leopardi Detail of Chiusa Sclafani

The town had called only Chiusa until 1862 in honour and to remember its founder Matteo Sclafani Count of Adernò, later it was added Sclafani.

The small town has medieval origins and was founded in 1320 on the ruins of a previous country-house. For a long time it has been under domination of the Sclafani family, then it came to Colonna family until 1812 and feudal duties were abolished.

The territory is full of monuments above all churches, such as St. Caterina's of the XVI century, inside is the triptych representing the Madonna col Bambino and the Saints; the Cathedral Church St. Nicola from Bari, erected in the XIV century and built again about 1800; the church of St. Maria Assunta that keeps a valuable silk arras of the Deposition.

Besides there are the Oratorio of St. Sebastiano, the church of St. Leonardo and the Abbey with the church of the SS. Annunziata.