|The town of Corleone
Tourism in Corleone
Corleone is a town made by Muslims. Full of houses narrowed each on others, of curtyards, blind alleys, meandering lanes, symbols of particular Islamic architectonic culture.
Also the Cathedral Church, dedicated to San Martino and built in 1382, reflects Mussulman style in its imposing and magnificent structure. It has been remade and enlarged around the XV century.
In 1700 it was completed with a great dome and with beautiful decorations and frescoes, works made by artist Carmelo Sarpiatra (XVIII century).
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
Inside it there are three naves of which the main one is completely frescoed and keeps a choir and a transept enriched by inlaids made between 1840 and 1913.
The church preserves several works of art coming from other sacred buildings, now no more existent, such as wood statue of San Sebastiano of 1600 and a gilded wood group of sculptures of Madonna dell'Itria dating back to the XVI century.
In the two high altars there are two big canvases representing images of San Bernardo and San Luca (patron saint of town) painted by the artist Brother Felice of Sambuca (1734-1805).
The sacresty keeps an imposing black wood Crucifix Byzantine make of XIV century and several jewels and sacred vestments.