|The province of Palermo
Giuliana (Zip Code 90030) is 80 km. far from Agrigento, 144 km. from Caltanissetta, 258 km. from Catania, 161 km. from Enna, 313 km. from Messina, 82 km. from Palermo, which province it belongs to, 216 km. from Ragusa, 297 km. from Siracusa, 175 km. from Trapani.
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
The municipality has 2.462 inhabitants and an area of 2.419 hectares for a density of population of 102 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a hilly area and is placed 710 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is in Ctr. S. Giovanni, tel. ++39 091-8356357 fax. ++39 091-8356557.
Cereals, grapes and olives are its main agricultural products but there are also many orchards. Important is also the working of iron and clothes.
The name Giuliana has a Roman descent and derives from the name of the original owner Julius. In the XIV century the village that was already existent in Arabic period was given by Frederick III of Aragon to Earl Guglielmo Peralta.
Later it has been possession of Luna and Cardona families until 1812 when the feudal government was abolished. In town politics several monastic orders were very important: they followed one another between the XVI and XVII century.
It is beautiful to visit the Monastery of SS. Trinity with the homonymous Church and the Cathedral Church that has been totally restored between 1935 and 1938 in neo-Gothic style.
In the Cathedral Church of Giuliana is kept a strip of the Holy Shroud that is shown in the procession that takes place on the Good Tuesday.