|The town of Mezzojuso
Tourism in Mezzojuso
Officiated according to Byzantine-Greek rite, the Church was allowed Albanians arrived in the village towards the XV century.
In time the building was considerably enlarged till to reach present dimensions.
In 1752, two renowned Sicilian painters were entrusted with the decoration of Medallions of Santi Padri (Holy Fathers): Olivio Sozzi (1690-1765) and his son Francesco (1778).
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
Of great artistical interest are most of furnitures present inside it which are dated back to different periods and are attributed to different artists.
Among them there are a Cypriot or Cretan platytera and a small boxwood cross finely worked which is dated back to the XV century.
Adjacent to the church there is the Basilian Monastery which contains an ancient library furnished with very rare books of the XV century and Greek ages.