|The town of Montemaggiore Belsito
Tourism in Montemaggiore Belsito
Consecrated to the Santissimo Crocifisso (Holy Crucifix), it was built in 1676 for will of princess Lucrezia Migliocco.
The building was built so that it could include the ancient chapel that previously preserved the Crucifix.
In it there are still perfectly visible precious paintings that decorate the vault and they are made by Filippo Randazzo (1692-1748) and Francesco Ferrigno (1686-1766).
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
Very interesting from an artistical point of view is the old wood Crucifix, eventfully found in 1625 together with a canvas of best workmanship that represents Madonna degli Angeli (Our Lady of Angels).
This Crucifix is celebrated every year from 13 to 15 September with processions which go though the village. The bell-tower, destroyed by lightnings has been restored thanks to contribution of some well-to-do families of village.