|The province of Palermo
Santa Flavia (Zip Code 90017) is 132 km. distant from Agrigento, 135 km. from Caltanissetta, 251 km. from Catania, 154 km. from Enna, 237 km. from Messina, 16 km. from Palermo, which province it belongs to, 268 km. from Ragusa, 309 km. from Siracusa, 115 km. from Trapani.
The municipality has 9.525 inhabitants and an area of 1.446 hectares for a density of population of 659 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a flat coastal area and is 55 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is placed in via Consolare n. 85, tel. ++39 091-904042/901667 fax. ++39 091-934767.
Main agricultural products cultivated in its territory are citrus fruit and vegetables. Important is also fish production for its notable fishing of fresh fishes of various sort.
The original name of the small town of Phoenician
derivation was Sò lanto but in 1880 it was changed
into Santa Flavia in honour of homonymous Dukes owners
of the feud. In the Middle Ages the territory was dominated
and populated by Filangeri family.
In the monumental field there is the majestic baroque Basilica of St. Anna, but also the Palazzo Lanza of Mazzarino (Lanza of Mazzarino Palace) rich of sumptuos steps and typically Medieval Castle of Sòlanto. Imposing are Valdina Villa frescoed by the architect Pietro Novelli and Filangeri Villa both of the XVII century.
The old tonnare (tuna stations) of Santa Flavia, which had been active from the XIV to XIX century, now are been changed into flatlets and used for tourism.