Edas   Helios Hotel - San Vito Lo Capo   Hotel Cetarium
The province of Palermo

Termini Imerese

Detail of Termini Imerese
Copyright © Bud Lang
 

Termini Imerese (Zip Code 90018) is 112 km. distant from Agrigento, 111 km. from Caltanissetta, 218 km. from Catania, 130 km. from Enna, 221 km. from Messina, 38 km. from Palermo, which province it belongs to, 248 km. from Ragusa, 276 km. from Siracusa, 137 km. from Trapani.

Copyright © Edizioni Leopardi Particolare di Termini Imerese

The municipality has 27.758 inhabitants and an area of 28.016 hectares for a density of population of 99 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a coastal hilly area and is 77 metres above sea-level.

The Town Hall is placed in via Garibaldi n. 1, tel. ++39 91 8128111 fax. ++39 91 8128421. E-mail address is: cv@comune.termini-imerese.pa.it.

Citrus fruit, grapes, olives, and artichokes are the main products of agriculture of Termini. Important is also the fish production.

In the handicraft there are typical wrought iron works and local pottery articles.
There are many thermal spa supplied by various springs of fresh water present all over the territory.

Copyright © Estate in Sicilia La Chiesa Madre

The name of Termini Imerese derives from Latin Thermae Himerenses that means "thermal baths of Imerese". In its territory there are ruins of settlements of Palaeolithic period and of Bronze and Copper ages.

The town of Thermae rose after the distruction of the near Himera when a group of survivors settled there and founded the first inhabited centre.

In the Roman period it had had a big town growth and the realization of majestic works like the aqueduct Cornelio now dilapidated.

In 828 it was conquered by Arabs who enlarged and improved it. With Normans it became State town. The emperor Carlo V who settled there round 1540 and made build the first town wall now no more existent.

From some years in the neighbours has risen a large industrial building that is the landmark of the economy of the town.

Copyright © Estate in Sicilia Tempio della Vittoria

The main monuments now visitable are the fifteenth-century Chiesa of S. Caterina (Church of St.Catherine) and the Chiesa of S. Maria della Consolazione (Church of St. Mary of the confort) decorated with stuccoes by the school of Serpotta.

Important are the Duomo of the XVII century and the Chiesa of S. Francesco (Church of St. Francis) that with the near convent has been changed into a school.

The economist Paolo Balsamo (1764-1816) is an important person from Termini Imerese. He in 1812 on behalf of the English wrote the Nuova Costituzione del Regno di Sicilia (New Constitution of the Reign of Sicily) inspired by the English bicameral system.