Luigi Nifosė - Photographer in Sicily   Residence Nettuno   Helios Hotel - San Vito Lo Capo
The province of Palermo

Torretta

The town of Torretta
Copyright © 2000 Edizioni Leopardi
 

Torretta (Zip Code 90040) is 156 km. distant from Agrigento, 159 km. from Caltanissetta, 266 km. from Catania, 178 km. from Enna, 276 km. from Messina, 17 km. from Palermo, which province it belongs to, 300 km. from Ragusa, 324 km. from Siracusa, 90 km. from Trapani.

The municipality has 3.529 inhabitants and an area of 2.541 hectares for a density of population of 139 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a coastal hilly area and is 306 metres above sea-level.

The Town Hall is placed in piazza V. Emanuele n. 37, tel. +39 091-8670231 fax. ++39 091-8670764.

Very important in the agriculture of Torretta is the cultivation of olives. The main handicrafts are wood, alluminium and marble works.

The name of Torretta perhaps is due to the presence of a little tower and it is thought that the village was risen round it in the half of the XVII century. The first inhabited centre dates back to 1599 by Baron Arrigo Traina.
Later it came under dominion of Giulio Tommaso Caro, prince of Pelagie (Lampedusa and Linosa). It was later ruled by Di Benedetto family who distinguishes for heroism in the risings of 1860 for the Unity of Italy.

Among its various monuments the Santuario della Madonna delle Grazie (Sanctuary of Madonna of Graces) of XVII century which preserves among other documents six bulls of Pope Clemente XI. Important are also the Chiesa del SS. Sacramento and the Chiesa and the Monastero del Collegio di Maria of the XIX century.

Near the little town, at the foot of Mount Colombaia, there is a pre-historic grotto called zà Domenica "Uncle Domenica" with numerous engravings of animals and rural scenes.