|The town of Augusta
Tourism in Augusta
The castle was started in 1232 thanks to Frederick II of Swabia (1194-1250), poet and emperor.
Frederick II, after visiting the surroundings, realized that that spot was ideal to erect a fortress which could dominate both land and sea from the top.
The castle is situated in the northern part of the isle housing Augusta.
It has a square layout and all rooms are located around a central yard.
Photo © Luigi Nifosì
The fortress, many times enlarged and modified, is surrounded by walls where, in the central part of each side, there is a square tower.
From its construction date up to 1250, when the emperor died, the castle was the core of the community: Augusta became a very important harbor for the trade with the East thanks to its massive invincible castle.
During the years the castle was often besieged in the fight between Angevins and Aragonese, which alternated in governing the town. The inhabitants of Augusta, being afraid of the frequent fights, sold or exchanged their lands, and the castle lost gradually its power.