The town of Buccheri
Tourism in Buccheri
Buccheri, a very old town, was destroyed by an earthquake in 1693 and it was rebuilt later in the same spot.
It is dominated by the Church of St. Anthony situated at the top of a long staircase.
The facade of the church is massive, the central part is very tall, and it is divided in three orders.
The two columns placed on the first two floors seem to delimit the third one, which is narrower and contains the bell-tower.
On the very top there is a dome surmounted by a big Cross.
The severe style of the architectural structure is characterized by three simple landscape structures sustained by columns and formed by architraves, friezes and frames: its shape reminds of its late 18th century origin.
The interior is divided by columns in three naves and there are two paintings dated back to 1728: the Saints Vito, Modesto and Crescenza and the Ecstasy of St. Anthony the Abbot, made by the Belgian painter Guglielmo Borremans (1670-1744).
Excellent are also the stuccos made in 1760 adorning the vault, by Giuseppe Gianforma, an artist from Palermo.