Edas   Helios Hotel - San Vito Lo Capo   Tre Erre - Ceramics -
The province of Siracusa

Canicattini Bagni

Canicattini Bagni

Foto © Luigi Nifosì

 

Canicattini Bagni (Zip Code 96010) is 194 Km. distant from Agrigento, 168 Km. from Caltanissetta, 81 Km. from Catania, 149 Km. from Enna, 177 Km. from Messina, 284 Km. from Palermo, 58 Km. from Ragusa, 23 Km. from Siracusa, that is the province it belongs to, 367 Km. from Trapani.

Copyright © Luigi Nifosì Canicattini Bagni

The municipality has 7.790 inhabitants, its surface measures 1.511 hectares and it population density counts 516 inhabitants for square kilometre.

It rises over a hilly area, 362 metres above the sea level.

The Town Hall is located in via XX Settembre n. 42, tel. ++39 0931-540111 fax. ++39 0931-540207.

The main economical activities are farming, cattle breeding and handicraft. It mainly produces cereals, vegetables, carobs, olives, almonds and forages.

Typical and very nice are the marble handicrafts. There are also cow, sheep and pig farms.

Copyright © Luigi Nifosì Mother Church

The town belonged to the territory of the barony of Canicattini of the Marquis Mario Daniele, from where it took its name.

The marquis founded the town in 1678 and added the word Bagni. After the 1693 earthquake, its population increased remarkably as many people emigrated from Noto.

As far as monuments are concerned we mention the Mother Church built in the 18th century and widened in the next century and S. Alfano Bridge, built in 1796.

Also very important are the Byzantine necropolis of Cozzo Guardiole and of S. Elama (V-VII century), the prehistoric necropolis and the Christian catacombs of Contrada S. Alfano and Contrada Martino.