|The town of Canicattini Bagni
Tourism in Canicattini Bagni
Canicattini Bagni, founded up on a hill by the Marquis Mario Daniele in 1678, housed the inhabitants of Noto escaped from their town because of the 1693 earthquake.
The land of the village goes down north up to S. Alfano Cave. Here in 1796 a bridge was built, connecting Canicattini to the feud of S. Alfano.
From the stone bridge you can enjoy a wonderful landscape with the most typical colors of Sicily.
Above S. Alfano Bridge there is an arch-shape opening, supported by two walls where there are niches delimited by columns in relief.
Photo © Reti e Sistemi
Inside the niches there are two statues, carved in the stone, representing Currarinu and Calamaru. Both the characters hold a bottle and a loaf of bread.
An old legend tells that the two were private guards divided by rivalry, and one day they fought right on the bridge.
After a vibrating fight there was no winner: Currarinu and Calamaru killed each other.