|The town of Carlentini
Tourism in Carlentini
The town was founded on the Meta hill by the viceroy Giovanni de Vega in 1551.
It was called Carlentini in honor of Emperor Charles V and Lentini, a town whose inhabitants it was supposed to house after the earthquake in 1542.
Anyway, the people from Lentini did not move there and the village was therefore inhabited by those living in the surrounding area.
Less than a kilometre away from Carlentini, you can visit the archaelogical site of Leontinoi and inside there is also the so-called House of Sirocco.
The House of Sirocco is not only an attraction for tourists, but it is also a way to celebrate and revalue our grandparent's old traditions and knowledge, used at those times to solve actual facts: in the 18th century the houses had complex layouts with many rooms and tricks, allowing people to resist to the sultriness created by the Sirocco, the hot wind from Africa.
Thanks to Baroness Maria Pezzino, who restored the House of Sirocco inside her summer holiday, we can appreciate the perspicacity of those who invented this natural air conditioning device.