|The town of Cassaro
Tourism in Cassaro
In the highest part of Cassaro, a nice town of feudal origin, there is the Church of St. Anthony the Abbot.
The church was started in 1693 and finished in 1760.
The people from Cassaro strongly wanted that church and actually they supported it with conspicuous donations.
The entrance to the church is from a staircase, whose sides are adorned by original geometrical patterns.
Its facade was planned in 1758 by Master Domenico Blamato of Floridia. In the original plan there was a loggia which was supposed to house a friezed bell, which was never made.
The entrance portal is sided by two wonderful columns richly adorned.
On both sides of the portal ,there are two niches with the statues of St. Anthony and a Madonna with Child, made with the same stone used for the facade.
The single nave interior is decorated with stuccoes and frescoes by Giuseppe Crestadoro (1711-1808), who also painted a canvas representing St. Anthony, stored in the marble high altar, dated back to the 18th century.
Do not miss the floor: tin tiles with floral patterns.