|The town of Floridia
Tourism in Floridia
The territory on which rises Floridia, founded by licentia populandi of 31 March 1627, houses the Cathedral Church.
The temple, dedicated to Our Lady of Providence, was for inhabitants of the then new town the social meeting place and the basis of administrative activity.
Now that Sanctuary is no more existent, and instead of it what dominates the village is the new Cathedral Church which raises in the historical centre.
Photo © Walter Lo Cascio
The Church shows a Latin cross plan and its middle nave extends to the consecrated altar and closes in the apse. The two side aisles, protected by vaults, cross each other into an architectonic body transversally set.
Two rows of pilasters, in stern and imposing Doric style, support an upper plane which imposes covering vaults.
The front of the temple is characterized by three architectonic orders: the first is limited by two side wings; the second has been partly made, in fact it is lacking of two niches which were included in the original plan; the third has never been completed.
Two small ornamental spires, which finish in height the Church, complete the building and also a clock set into an elegant cubic structure.