|The province of Siracusa
Portopalo di Capo Passero
Portopalo di Capo Passero (Zip Code 96010) is 195 Km. distant from Agrigento, 200 Km. from Caltanissetta, 112 Km. from Catania, 204 Km. from Enna, 208 Km. from Messina, 342 Km. from Palermo, 59 Km. from Ragusa, 54 Km. from Siracusa, that is the province it belongs to, 368 Km. from Trapani.
Copyright © Affinità Elettive
The municipality has 3.397 inhabitants, its surface measures 1.487 hectares and its population density counts 228 inhabitants for square kilometre.
It rises along the coast, over a flat area, 20 metres above the sea-level.
The Town Hall is located in via L. Tasca n. 33, tel. ++39 0931-842346 fax. ++39 0931-842879.
It is prevalently an agricultural centre producing grapes and greenhouse vegetables. Fishing is also largely practiced.
The name comes from the Latin Portus Palus, that means porto palude (marshy harbour), and in 1975 the words Capo Passero have been added to distinguish it from the homonymous Porto Palo in the province of Agrigento.
Photo © Siciliafotografica.it
We do not have many historical evidences on the town, but we know that the settlement was founded at the beginning of the 19th century. During World War II, Anglo-Americans landed here.
The town belonged to the municipality of Pachino up to 1975, when it became autonomous.
Amongst the most interesting monuments we include the church of St. Gaetano built in 1812 and recently restored, the tunny fishing factory of Capo Passero (1275) and the Spanish Castle on the isle of Capo Passero (16th century).