The province of Siracusa
Priolo Gargallo (Zip Code 96010) is 236 Km. distant from Agrigento, 165 Km. from Caltanissetta, 49 Km. from Catania, 154 Km. from Enna, 145 Km. from Messina, 268 Km. from Palermo, 100 Km. from Ragusa, 14 Km. from Siracusa, that is the province it belongs to, 367 Km. from Trapani.
The municipality has 11.591 inhabitants, its surface measures 5.759 hectares and its population density counts 201 inhabitants for square kilometre. It rises along the coast over a flat area, 30 metres above the sea-level.
The Town Hall is located in via Angelo Custode n. 34, tel. ++39 0931 779111 fax. ++39 0931 771405 - 0931 769155.
The main economical activity is agriculture, and it prevalently produces citrus fruits, fruit and olives. Recently an interesting industry development has started.
The etymology of the word Priolo takes us back to the Greek word Priolos, which means priore (prior), probably because the land was an ecclesiastic property. The word Gargallo comes from the local lord's name, Marquis Gargallo, who governed it in the 19th century.
The feud of Priolo was formed in the 14th century within the county of Augusta, from which it was separated in 1433 by king Alfonso d'Aragona.
In 1809 Marquis Tommaso Gargallo founded the homonymous town. In the last century the town has been notably enlarged.
Amongst the most interesting monuments we mention the church of the Guardian Angel (19th century), the church of the Virgin (1860) and the Tower of the Fig (17th century).
The archeological ruins of Thapsos, are also very imporatnt, housing a settlement and prehistoric necropolis.
Amongst the illustrious personalities of Priolo Gargallo we mention the sociologist Bruno Ficili, who in 1987 established the "International Forum for education to peace" - for this reason he was proposed many times for the Nobel prize.