|The town of Erice
Tourism in Erice
From Porta Trapani, one of the entrance to the city, it gets to via Vito Carvini and so to the Cathedral Church.
In front of it, an imposing bell-tower rises with two orders of gothic mullioned windows and it is crowned by merlons.
It supposes that the bell-tower originary has been built as a vedetta tower by Federico from Aragon in 1312 and only later it has been used as a bell-tower.
Photo © Affinità Elettive
The church, erected in 1314, outside has a rectangular pronaos of 1426 which precedes the main front Under four ogival archs a very beautiful gothic doorway, with broken line ornates, opens.
Above it is possible to see a beautiful rose-window.
Inside is with three aisles, in the Gothic style, and keeps works by domenico Gagini (1420-1492) and fragments of frescos by Catalan school of the XV century.
Along the nave on the left there are two different chapels. In the art treasure there are a monstrance of 1600 based on a foot of 1400 and an astylar cross in silver lamina of 1400.