Helios Hotel - San Vito Lo Capo   VALFRIGO S.N.C.   Residence Isola del Miele
The province of Trapani

Mazara del Vallo

The town of Mazara del Vallo
Copyright © 2000 Idea Fotovideo
 

Mazara del Vallo ( Zip Code 91026) is 132 km. from Agrigento, 204 km. from Caltanissetta, 331 km. from Catania, 239 km. from Enna, 379 km. from Messina, 119 km. from Palermo, 268 km. from Ragusa, 349 km. from Siracusa, 54 km. from Trapani, which province it belongs to.

Copyright © 2000 Idea Fotovideo The Cathedral

The municipality has 52.035 inhabitants and an area of 27.559 hectares; its population density is of 189 inhabitants per square kilometre. Mazara del Vallo rises on a flat area on the coast and is 8 metres above the sea-level.

The Town Hall is placed in piazza della Repubblica, tel. ++39 923 671111 fax. ++39 923 931174. E-mail address is: suap@comune.mazara-del-vallo.tp.it.

The town is one of the most important Sicilian place for the height fishing and its contribution to the national production in this field is of 20%. Its lands produce various products such as vegetables, citrus fruits, olives, table and wine grapes.

Mazara del Vallo was an ancient Phoenician port and it has been an important port since the ancient period. Between the VI and the V centuries B.C. the town became an emporium; it was dominated at first by the Carthaginian then by the Romans. Later it was occupied by the Arabs and during this domination the town has a very good expansion and becomes the chief town of the Vallo of Mazara. Under the Count Ruggero D'Altavilla the town becomes the bishop's residence and recieved the first Norman assembly in Sicily.

Copyright © 2000 Idea Fotovideo The Norman Arch

Between 1600 and 1700 the great religous establishment were built and rebuilt and main squares were restored in baroque style. In this way the town-planning aspect was fixed. In the artistic field there are very important monuments such as the baroque Cathedral, rebuilt on the old Norman temple, it is full of numerous and valuable works of art; the Church of St. Michele, annexed to the Benedictine monastery, was rebuilt on an old basilian coenobium and it is the most beautiful church; the little temple of St. Maria delle Giummare is an old Norman basilian coenobium and rises on a hill at about 1 km. far from the town.

On the coast, and especially in the shipway, sometimes it is possible to observe the phenomenon of marrobbio (sessa) which consists of a swift and sudden turn of the water-level and there are also excursions of the order of the meter which take place in a short time.