|The province of Trapani
Partanna (Zip Code 91028) is 114 km. distant from Agrigento, 184 km. from Caltanissetta, 306 km. from Catania, 225 km. from enna, 343 km. from Messina, 84 km. from Palermo, 250 km. from Ragusa, 331 km. from Siracusa, 57 km. from Trapani, which province it belongs to.
Photo © Reti e Sistemi
The municipality has 11.851 inhabitants and its area is 8.236 hectares; density of population is of 144 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a hilly area, 414 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is placed in via Vittorio Emanuele, tel. ++39 0924-49258 fax. ++39 0924-922171.
Partanna is a big agricultural center; it aboundes in cereals, vegetables, citrus fruits, olives, wine and table grapes. Cattle and sheep breedings are present too.
The town has Greek or probably Sicilian origins. It derives its name from its location which is between two rivers, Selinon and Hypsa, so part'anna. Different archaeological founds have been discovered, they belong to Roman, Carthaginian and Byzanthine periods.
During the Medieval period the territory was dominated by the Arabs and later by the Normans. In 1139 it became a Graffeo's feud.
Photo © Wikipedia
It was seriously damaged by the earthquake of 1968, and was placed side by side to a new installation that was in continuation with the previous installation.
In the field of art there is the Castle that is a very important monument belonging to the Norman period. It has been entirely restored in 1600.
Inside the Cathedral Church, rebuilt after the destruction by the earthquake, it is possible to find something of the richest stucco-work by Vincenzo Messina (1692-1729) and a valuable organ designed by Paolo Amato (1634-1714).
Of the monastic complex of the Minori Conventuali (Convenctual Minorities) it has remained only one element: the bell-tower of the Church of St. Francesco.