|The town of Salaparuta
Tourism in Salaparuta
The heavy earthquake that shook the Belice Valley in the night between 14 and 15 January of 1968 distroyed entirely the town of Salaparuta and with it also its history, labour, and the existence of people.
Many are the ruins of the Castle round it, according to some sources, the Arabs built a small village.
They called it "Castle of the Lady" and later "Country house of the Lady".
Photo © Reti e Sistemi
Later colonies from a next country house called "Sala" (hall) moved because of malaria and joined to people who lived in the precedent castle and called it "Sala della Donna" (Woman's hall).
In 1400 the town belonged to a noble family, the Paruta, and so the castle was called "The Paruta's castle of Sala" and later it changed in "Salaparuta's Castle".