|The town of Salemi
Tourism in Salemi
In the center of Salemi, from Alicea Square going down along Via Francesco D'Aguirre, on the right it gets to the College of the Jesuits, built in 1652.
It with the Jewish quarter are the main attractive monuments of the medieval town. Here the popular feeling of solidarity, mixed to the religiousness, finds its best expression in the traditional, vivid and artistic festival of the suppers of St. Giuseppe.
The Loreto Congregation belongs to the College. It was built in the XVIII century and was projected by Giovanni Biagio Amico (1684-1754).
Photo © Affinità Elettive
In 1986 the College was restored and employed as a Civic Museum. It preserves part of the artistical patrimony recovered from the destroyed churches.
Sculptures, belonging to the XV and XVI centuries, represent the main nucleus of the patrimony; among them there are a Baptisimal fountain of 1464 and a baked clay high-relief representing the Madonna col Bambino); the marble statues of St. Giuliano l'Ospitatore e Madonna col Bambino attributed to Francesco Laurana (1420-1503); two marble figures made in bas-relief from a crib by Antonello Gagini (1478-1536).
Among the paintings are present the Madonna degli Angeli of 1604 by Mariano Smiriglio (d.1636) and Morte della Vergine by the Manneristic School. In a hall on the left side of the court-yard has been arranged the collection of the relics of the Risorgimento; it chiefly includes relics which can be date back to the early days of the landing of Thousand in Sicily.